maze

maze
Looking for my way in life

search

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Posting updates on Adam's PCT blog

Before Adam, my son, started his 2600 mile hike on the PCT, he asked me if I would update his blog for him.  Wanting to help and keep track of him, I agreed.

We did some prototype tests. He gave me access to his onedrive cloud storage where he would store photos.  He would send me emails and I would create a post and add pictures.

Even though we did prototype tests, when he started it was painful. I have a slow internet access. On good days it runs 4 - 5 meg download and .5 upload.

Initially I would download his photos in a zip file (that was over 20 meg), then I would insert each picture that was anywhere from 2 - 6 meg.  That took forever!.  I can't just copy and past his email for Google's blogspot makes assumptions as to the background color and it comes out crappy.

So, it took me a while to learn to copy text only, resize the pictures before I upload them and other tricks.  I created a Google map to show his location and update it nightly from either this spot or I determine the location from his blog content.

About two weeks into doing updates, it got interesting. There were so many people he would write about, I was having a hard time keeping up.


 So, I created a page to keep notes of trail names.

Then I was curious about the people and tried to tie their blogs, vlogs and facebook posts to Adam's.  This is interesting to see how different people view the same part of the trail differently.

How come he gets to sleep with five woman?

Stay tune for this may get more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment